20050930

Wrong Place, Wrong Time (Run-in, part I)

Well, THAT was a surreal experience.

So I made it to Tatooine, and I'm waiting in the local bar for my new contact to arrive, and I'm bored out of my mind. No one here is the least bit interesting, and Chewie and I have been together so long, I've heard all his stories about a dozen times.

Well, this guy comes over. I don't know, he seemed kinda familiar, but not really. I couldn't place his face. The bar was a little crowded, so he asked if he could sit at our table (having a wookie around tends to keep regular joes from crowding your space). Any other day, I probably would have told him to scram, but like I said, I was bored.

So he sits down and we start chatting, and we end up on the topic of speeders. Now, I'm a bit of a speed junky from when I used to race swoops, and until recently I had a tricked out little number I could take out for a cruise every now and again. I whipped out a little holo-image of it and start bragging about modifications, so he had to pull out a holo-image of his baby and brag about its upgrades.
Han: (showing off holo-image) Hey man, is this impressive or what?
Guy: You're gonna hafta do one hell of a lot more than that to impress me!
Han: Hey, I've never seen you around man. I'm surprised we never ran into each other.
Guy: Man, I can't keep track of all you punks runnin' 'round here backwards.
Han: Hey, you say you're supposed to be the fastest thing in 'Eisley man, but that can't be your speeder. It must be your mama's speeder! I'm sort of embarrassed to be this close to you.
Guy: Yeah, well I'm not surprised, you with your dust speeder!
Han: Dust speeder? What's a dust speeder?
Guy: A dust speeder runs through the dust plains, picking up bantha poodoo to use as fertilizer.
Han: Haha! That's pretty good. Say, I like the color of your speeder there. What's that supposed to be? Sort of a cross between sarlacc-intestine-yellow and Hutt-slime-green ain't it?
Guy: Well, you call that a finish, but it's pretty ugly. I bet you got to sneak up on the station just to get a little fuel in your tank!
Han: Well, at least I don't have to pull over just to let a funeral go by, man!
Guy: Oh ho, funny!
It was the way he said "Oh ho, funny!" completely without humor. I suddenly recognized the voice, and realized why his face seemed so familiar.

When I was at the Imperial Academy, I met some of the old clone troopers. This guy at my table looked kind of like them, only younger. And though I hadn't heard the voice without microphone distortion before, I could recognize it now.

I was having drinks and a chat with Boba Fett, the bounty hunter out to kill me. And there was no chance that he didn't know who I was.

(...to be continued...)
Blogger Captain Typho said...

What could go wrong? You've got Chewie with you.

9/30/2005 11:44:00 AM  

<< Home