20051001

It's a Trap! (Run-in, part II)

I'd never seen Fett without his armor on. It was a strange experience. This is a guy we all tend to think about as invincible, but a lot of that is because of his gear. Here he was, gearless, and talking to me as if we were old chums.

The one slight advantage I had was that, while he certainly knew who I was, he didn't know that I knew who he was.

I gave the danger signal to Chewie. He complained of a stomachache and left. He would go up to our room, arm himself, and lay in wait until I got there. If I could manage to get Fett to go with me, as he was right now without his gear, and with Chewie laying a trap for him, we *MIGHT* stand a chance.

The trick would be to get him to follow me up to my room. The standard ploys wouldn't work ("I'm hiding all these credits in my room, wanna see?" "I kidnapped this princess and she's tied up in my room, wanna see?" etc). If I used any of those, he'd know he'd tipped his hand and probably kill me on the spot (and, if the rumors are accurate, in an extremely painful, slow way).

While I was trying to think of a real plan, I kept ordering drinks. Maybe, I thought, if he was drunk enough to stop thinking straight, and if he thought I was drunk enough to be fairly incapacitated, he might follow me up, planning to kill me there in private. Maybe.

In the meantime, we kept talking. The really sad part is, I actually enjoyed the conversation with him. It was probably the first truly intelligent discussion I'd had in...I don't know how long. He doesn't have much of a sense of humor, but he is serious about his business, and he's no fool. Man, I am about sick of fools. If the rebels could get Fett on their side, they'd actually have a chance of winning this thing.

Anyway, a good plan never came to mind, and my contact finally showed up. I figured it was now or never with Fett. If I could eliminate him as a threat, I'd have a lot more breathing space in this galaxy. So, I went with what I had:

I invited him up to my room, to continue our conversation in private.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking. You know, I hear that all the time, because I'm single, I'm thin and I'm neat. And I get along well with women. People assume it about me. Not that there's anything wrong with it... of course not! I mean that's fine if that's who you are. People's personal preferences are nobody's business but their own.

Anyway, apparently Fett wasn't drunk enough, or didn't swing that way, or he was on to me. Whatever it was, he excused himself and left. The last thing he said to me was "See you around." When he said it, his eyes looked like he was seeing a corpse. My corpse.

I got the distinct impression that he was going to go gear up and either come back and kill me or wait outside and kill me. Either way, I didn't want to hang around there anymore.

I introduced myself to my contact and we headed up to my room.

(...to be concluded...)
Anonymous BOBBA FETT said...

I was going to watch a late night movie entitled "I know what you drank last summer". Didn't know it was a trap.

10/01/2005 06:22:00 PM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

You know, I hear that all the time, because I'm single, I'm thin and I'm neat. And I get along well with women. People assume it about me.

People assume that an interior designer you are?

10/02/2005 12:46:00 PM  
Anonymous C3PO said...

I think he meant he gets mistaken for a hairdresser. Not that you would need one, Yoda.

Han, the whole "Vader is my dad" thing is a little confusing. Didn't old Ben think that Vader and Kuke were connected somehow? Just somethin I heard through the grapevine.

And I am NOT playing games with your furball friend again.

C3PO

11/10/2005 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Han Solo said...

Of course Vader and Kuke are connected. Admiral Kuke is one of the most influential officers in the Imperial armada! What a nut, though, always coming up with hair-brained inventions. He's a ... I don't know what.

"And I am NOT playing games with your furball friend again."

Not very diplomatic of you, protocol droid.

11/10/2005 03:57:00 PM  

<< Home